Saturday, March 6, 2010

2nd Kiln Loaded of the New Year!

This morning, Gina and I loaded the second kiln of the year. In the picture above, you can see the new oil decanter on the bottom shelf. The glaze combination is turquoise on the bottom and tenmoku on the top with a splash of black. The top to this pot will be fired separately and can be found the next shelf.

  


I have ten hours of firing and two days of cooling before I know how this kiln load will turn out. One way for me to know that that the firing is going correctly is by peaking into the kiln. This is done by removing one brick per hole and looking at my cone pack (see above) and the atmosphere inside the kiln. The different color cones will melt at different temperatures during the firing and allow me to know where I’m at in the firing process. The atmosphere should be cloudy for most of the firing.

I hope you enjoyed the spring weather!

David